Sunday, December 27, 2015

Audio re Combined Operations: William Kennedy, Normandy

On LCI(L) 301 (260th Flotilla) in 1944


Please link to an audio file at The Memory Project related to the activities of William Kennedy, from Winnipeg, that touch on memories related to his training and war time experiences aboard an LCI(L) at Normandy, June 1944.

A portion of William Kennedy's transcript follows:

I took an advance course in visual signaling and actually the ship left without me of course. I knew that it was a couple of weeks or whatever it was, I can’t just remember how long, and then I’d seen there was a bulletin at the signal school in Halifax. So I then went over on the [SS] Ile de France to [HMCS]Niobe in Scotland, in Greenock, Scotland, and I forget how many weeks I spent there training and then we took the train, naturally, from Greenock to Southampton [England] and went aboard this landing craft. And that was the LCI (L)-301, the 260th Flotilla.

Photo Caption and Credit - Infantrymen of the North Nova Scotia Highlanders aboard LCI(L) 135 of the 2nd Canadian (262nd RN) Flotilla, 9 May 1944. William Kennedy served in a similar vessel, LCI(L) 301, on D-Day. Lt Gilbert A. Milne / Canada. Dept. of National Defence / Library and Archives Canada / PA-206493

Please link to another Audio re Combined Operations.

No comments:

Post a Comment