A Compilation of Photos re Training Camps, Landing Crafts.
[Art Work - Herbert Hastings McWilliams, HMS Saunders, Kabret, Egypt, 1945.]
Credit - As found at Combined Operations Command
Canadians in Combined Operations trained aboard landing crafts at various camps in the United Kingdom prior to calls to action at Dieppe, N. Africa, Sicily, Italy and more. The camps and types of landing craft varied, as did their surroundings, nearby towns, townspeople, customs and pubs.
In my search for more information related to camps the Canadians were soon to know well, e.g., HMS Northney, HMS Quebec, Camp Auchengate (between Irvine and Troon, Scotland) and HMS Saunders - to name a few - I found scores of photographs with informative captions and created 15 entries on this website. Links to each are provided below.
2. Gradual Growth of Combined Ops Crafts and Crews
3. Gradual Growth of Combined Ops Crafts and Crews
Eight Canadians at their first training camp, HMS Northney on Hayling Island.
L - R: Al Adlington, London; Joe Spencer, Toronto; Chuck Rose, Chippawa;
Doug Harrison, Norwich; Art Bradfield, Simcoe; Don Linder, Kitchener;
Joe Watson, Simcoe; Jake Jacobs, address unknown. February, 1942
From the collection of Joe Spencer, RCNVR, Combined Operations
5. Combined Operations Camps, Landing Crafts and Crews.
6. Combined Operations Camps, Landing Crafts and Crews.
7. Combined Operations Camps, Landing Crafts and Crews.
Night scene showing searchlights from two boats circling just off a beach.
Creator - Henry Carr. Photo Credit - The Imperial War Museum (IWM)]
9. Types of Landing Craft Grow in Number
10. Various Crafts and Camps: Isle of Wight to Irvine.
11. Major Camps Near Irvine and Inveraray, Scotland
Buryl McIntyre (left) and Doug Harrison, from Norwich, Ontario.
Veterans of Dieppe, N. Africa, Sicily, Italy and more.
12. H.M.S. Quebec at Inveraray and More
13. Various Crafts and Camps in the U.K.
14. Training on Crafts in Inveraray, and More
15. Salutes, Saunders Camp and Sundaes in Canada
Unattributed Photos GH