Monday, June 15, 2020

Video: Nelson Langevin Remembers RCNVR, Combined Ops

N. Langevin, Hull, Interviewed by Carole Clark, CTV

N. Langevin (left) with Gord Harrison in Ottawa, 2014
At the Canadian War Museum. Photo - G. Harrison

Introduction:

As this website has been created, I have depended on the offerings of a long list of people (memoirs), newspapers (articles, context, war correspondents), websites (e.g., The Memory Project, WW2Today), and so many other valuable connections.

Occasionally, dumb luck has to be recognized as a real thing.

While returning from the East Coast of Canada via motorcycle I took a break in Ottawa and visited the War Museum on my way out of town toward my next destination (my older son's house in Lindsay) before reaching home in London, ONT. Surely, as I motored toward the museum, I felt that not much could happen that morning in the nation's capital that would overshadow my experiences in the city already... the views from the Peace Tower on Parliament Hill, the walks and bike rides along the Ottawa River, a stop at my favourite Ottawa restaurant and pub and more.

But then there's dumb luck.

The grass covered roof top of the War Museum was an eye-opener, a few poppies and all! In the museum's book room I was able to purchase a two-volume set of WW2 history books that shared significant items about the Canadians who joined Combined Operations. And while paying for the books I was told that a member of Combined Ops was due to arrive shortly for his shift in the bookroom, though he was running late.

I waited awhile, with my long trip that day on my mind, and wrote a note with pertinent contact information for the volunteer. I finished the note, prepared to leave, and Nelson Langevin walked through the door. We were quickly introduced and we were soon deep in meaningful conversation. He knew my father, also a member of Comb. Ops; he had visited with my parents in my hometown years before, and recalled sitting under my favourite tree in my parents' backyard. Dumb luck wins again.

Recently, while preparing details for an entry on this site, i.e., an audio file by Nelson Langevin at The Memory Project, I found a video as well re Nelson's experiences as a member of RCNVR and Comb. Ops. It is a video interview performed by Catherine Clark, CPAC.

Preface (accompanies video file): 

Nelson Langevin was born in Ottawa’s Lowertown and wanted to join the Navy when he was 16 but was denied when his mother refused to sign his release. On his 17th birthday Nelson joined the Army and shortly thereafter transferred to the Navy. Langevin sailed on the ships that protected the Atlantic convoys. Langevin was in the Landing Craft Mechanized that helped ferry soldiers to the beaches of Dieppe and participated in assaults on the northern coast of Africa and Sicily and Italy in 1943.


Photo as found at CPAC video. Nelson (left).


Unattributed Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment