Friday, December 11, 2020

Editor's Research: Canadians in Combined Ops Return Home (6)

The Allies Advance Toward Rome, Short Gains at a Time

A Canada-US Force Makes Headlines,  "The Best in 5th Army"

"Surprise! I'm back from Sicily. Yes, I should have called!!"

Introduction:

Some of the news from January 19 - 21, 1944, as found in The Winnipeg Tribune below, provides some context about what was happening during WWII in Europe (e.g., associated with the Canadian Army in Italy), and the progress of the war on other fronts.

We also read of men returning home, for various reasons, e.g. to recover from wounds, or to enjoy a time of leave before heading back across the Atlantic again for further duties.

In mid-January 1944 some Canadians in Combined Operations - including my father and close mates (members of RCNVR and Combined Operations) - were getting used to new military routines at a Combined Operations School on Vancouver Island. They had returned to Canada a month earlier (Dec. 6, 1943 - with two years' war pay in their duffel bags - leaving their actions at Dieppe and the subsequent invasions of North Africa, Sicily and Italy behind them.

They had already experienced the 'welcome home' hugs, kisses, parties, slaps on the back, Christmas dinner(s) and more, before re-enlisting or volunteering for more service. Some had given interviews to newspapers, and that's what I am chiefly looking for (to share in this series of posts re 'Editor's Research') as I peruse The Tribune, as found at The University of Manitoba.

The story of my father's return to SW Ontario (by train from Halifax), meeting his mother Alice in Brantford (finally), and enjoying Christmas holidays in his hometown of Norwich - before boarding another train for British Columbia - is touched on briefly in his memoirs.

Doug Harrison writes: 

When I arrived home from overseas prior to Christmas, 1943 mother had gone to Brantford to be with my sister Myrtle. She greeted every train coming from the east, day and night, but when I did not arrive, mum was too tired and I was met by my sister. Mum was very disappointed. 

Alice and Doug Harrison, circa 1950

(When we did finally reunite) I discarded my hammock and kit bag and felt like a little boy again as she tearfully held me in her arms. I became totally unravelled as well, but with 52 days of leave we would have time to tell our stories around the kitchen table on Spring Street. It was good to be home, the home that mother built.

"Dad, Well Done" page 103

News from January 19 - 21, 1944:



























For more information about Canadians in Combined Ops and members of other forces coming home in January - February 1944, please link to Editor's Research: Canadians in Combined Ops Return Home (5).

Unattributed Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment