Monday, January 18, 2021

Video: Faint Footsteps, World War II (Part 1)

 Following My Father's Trail From 1941 - 1945

Based on Editor's Column (1)

A stirring parade following basic training at Hamilton Division. 1941
Photo Credit - Doug Harrison (my father), front row, centre

Introduction:

Readers who have looked at the line-up of "click on Headings" in the right hand margin may recall seeing 'Editor's Column'. That heading will lead one to an incomplete collection (but I made a very good start!) of articles that were published in my father's hometown newspaper (The Norwich Gazette) a few years ago, outlining his World War II experience. Unfortunately, after making "a very good start" the Gazette shut its doors, like many other small-medium-large-town (etc.) newspapers across North America.

Perhaps I will find a durable newspaper in SW Ontario that will take on the columns so that I can continue my father's story, one that includes the combined experiences of about 1000 other young men who were the members of Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve who also volunteered to join the Combined Operations organization, beginning with the first two drafts in late 1941.

Until I am being published again I will continue to add to the collection here (13 at present) and add a 'stirring parade' of short videos to support the columns in a visual manner. 

Who knows where this might lead? A few likes, a 15-minute documentary, a high profile on YouTube? Hollywood!?

Whatever the case, please find Part 1 of a stirring series of short videos below:

As well, please link to Editor's Column: As Published in the Norwich Gazette

Photos and Video GH

No comments:

Post a Comment