Wednesday, September 25, 2024

War Correspondence: From One Veteran to Another (3)

Last Two letters Lt. Cdr. Cyril Masterman, Senior F.O., LCTs

His Experience on High Seas Left a Lasting Impression

Photo Credit - LCT (Mark 5, small) 401, manoeuvering with ramp down.
As found at www.combinedops.com, from Imperial War Museum (IWM)

Introduction:

In two earlier, related posts, we learn about the connection between two members of Combined Operations, one a member of RCNVR, the other a member of RANVR, but both associated with Landing Craft, (for) Tanks (LCTs) that spent a few months time in the Mediterranean Sea during WWII. 

In this post of the same series I will share the final two letters that travelled between the sailors back in the early 1990s prior to significant Navy reunions both were hoping to attend. Navy ties were exchanged along with family news (not all included here), along with plans associated with the reunions, and some details re the Aussie's experience returning to the U.K. after 3 - 4 months in the Med are repeated, making me think, then share a bit about the reasons for repetition of some of the same facts. You can be the judge as well.

As opposed to my past practice of typing up the letters that are written in cursive, I have photographed the paragraphs written by the Aussie (Cyril Masterman) to the Canuck (Clayton Marks). If cursive befuddles your modern mind, write me for a translation @ gordh7700@gmail.com



From Brisbane, 30/7/91, Mr. Masterman's letter begins:


I think Cyril and Clayton initially connected by sharing information about the Dieppe Raid, about those who were involved, what with the 50 Anniversary coming up to be celebrated in August, 1992. The date of a 1991 reunion was upcoming in two months (i.e., Sept. 1991) and Cyril was unable to attend. If the location was Ottawa, my father definitely wanted to attend, and asked me for assistance in getting there from his hometown, Norwich, south of Woodstock, ONT. His own health concerns forced him to cancel the trip.

What would have been on the reunion's agenda? The 49th Anniversary of the Dieppe Raid? Perhaps. The 50th Anniversary of the date on which the first two drafts of Canadian sailors, about 100 in all, including my father, volunteered for Combined Operations (while training at HMCS Stadacona in Halifax, Nova Scotia)? Hopefully! I know I'd like to have been there to raise a glass with them!

Of course, the 50th reunion in 1992 would be a much bigger deal, as those who served at Dieppe were remembered (among them those that had been killed, or injured, or taken as prisoners of war, or returned to serve again - though filled with anger or grief or survivors' guilt or relief, perhaps more.

The list of Canadian participants was shared earlier: click here to view the names to be presented to the Mayor of Dieppe in 1992.

The name 'Earl McKenna' mentioned in Cyril's first paragraph (above) does not appear on the 'Mayor's list' nor does it come to mind re to other stories or events that I am familiar with at this time. However, the name of Joe McKenna (RCNVR/Comb. Ops), from PEI, does appear (died during the Dieppe Raid) and more information about that young sailor and his fate can be found here

For the 2nd or 3rd time Cyril mentions leaving Gibraltar in early November, 1943 and later facing very strong winds and high seas. I think he repeats the tale, not because he forgets he told the tale in an earlier letter, but because he cannot forget it. "an 80 knot gale." "We lost 2 ships." "a later convoy turned back." "German Destroyers... put to sea (heading toward his destination)." His life and death story resurfaces because it cannot be sunk... in my humble opinion. Your thoughts?

In comparison I read for the first time that "for my sins all the damage I sustained (during WWII, I suspect) was a small piece of German metal I coped (sic copped, i.e., received) at Dieppe...". So, getting injured is a forgettable experience most days, but facing an 80 knot gale is harder to shrug off... again, in my humble opinion.

The letter concludes:


The fourth and final letter from Cyril to Clayton appears below:

Sent from Old Stafford Mail Centre, Australia on September 3, 1991
"If you really care you'll write" (Same is true today : )

Write me for a 'cursive' translation @ gordh7700@gmail.com

Cyril repeats details re the trip aboard LCTs, beginning Nov. 5, 1943. However, I believe the underlined item, in red (above) re "propellor shaft" is new. I would certainly like to read Clayton's responses re his own experiences, especially details re being "in the next convoy." And I have found a modern day mailing address for another Masterman family in the same postal zone in Queensland. So, we'll see what we can find out!

Cyril's letter to Clayton concludes:

"Don't freeze in that cold Winter you have up there."

I liked Cyril's note re the cold winters in Canada. Sure, we have cold winters but we survive by huddling together around the TV while watching NHL hockey. Excellent.

I also liked the line "I find your Newsletters very interesting." Because it made me think, "What Newsletters could he be talking about?" I then recalled that my father's name and address can be found with many other RCNVR/Comb. Ops names and addresses on a 3 or 4 page long "Newsletter Mailing List", somewhere in one of my many files! So, I've got some research to do. Surely somebody kept a file of all the newsletters, but who, and where? (Yes, a name has popped to mind... more details to follow, I hope).

For those interested to know more about the role of Aussies and Canadians in Combined Ops who travelled here and there aboard LCTs, please link to the following:

Landing Craft Tank (5) 2331 - LCT (5) 2331

Photo Credit - US LCT(A) 2008 was the same type of landing craft as the 2331

Please click here to view War Correspondence: From One Veteran to Another (2)

Unattributed Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment