Thursday, September 17, 2026

England's National Memorial Arboretum, May 2026 (2)

Welcome Again to the National Memorial Arboretum,

"150 Acres of Beautiful Woodland and Gardens"

The Arboretum is a few Km south of Burton-on-Trent and
even a shorter distance east of Alrewas, Staffordshire, UK
Photo 'borrowed' from the Arboretum's free Visitor Map

A book by a Canadian author that I would highly recommend.
And I do, in the accompanying video, link provided below

Introduction:

My sons and I, having visited the National Memorial Arboretum in late May, 2026, with cameras in hand, have a few more photographs to share with readers.

Enlarge the map on your computer screen for better viewing. GH

We covered a fair bit of ground in the first offering and will do so again below, with several digital photographs and a short video made up of other photographs taken by my son David and I. I will try not to repeat any more than a few of the photos but I do plan to repeat what I said in an earlier video, i.e., that if you are a son, daughter or relative of a Canadian in Combined Ops, i.e., a  former member of the RCNVR and Combined Operations who served during WWII, I strongly encourage you to make a trip to Staffordshire, England, and set aside at least an afternoon or two to walk about this lovely woodlands and gardens to view some of the (over) 400 memorials. 


I offer no guarantee that you'll jump up and down with excitement at the wide variety of designs and symbolism reflected in the many memorials (if you are near my age the "jumping up and down" has passed the best-before-date), but I do believe there would be few people - young or old, who would regret the experience.

For those who viewed the short video in the previous post I share the following details: I repeat one or two, maybe three still photographs in the next short video; yes, I do stop for greater lengths of time at 'Navy' (especially if related Combined Ops) memorials than at memorials for other forces; I bet I didn't see even half of the 400+ memorials on display, and not because we hurried; my boys and I are already discussing plans to return to the UK. "There is so much more to see and do."

Please click below to view a video related to the second half of our trek that day -


A complete version of Crossing the Bar by Alfred Lord Tennyson follows:


Poem as found at fineartamerica.com

An entry related to the Canadian 80th Flotilla of Landing Crafts (LCMs, in which my father was a member during the invasion of Sicily (i.e., Operation Husky, beginning July10, 1943) and Italy, at the toe of the boot (i.e., Operation Baytown, beginning September 3, 1943) will soon follow and will include the use of the photograph below:

Photo Credit - Imperial War Museum. Dated September 3, 1943
I believe the DUKWs are embarking from Mili Marina, Sicily

Please click here to view an entry, with video, about how we found the grave of Joe McKenna (RCNVR/Combined Operations), a 19-year old Canadian, killed during the Dieppe Raid, as mentioned in an earlier entry. 

One of my father's favourite WWII pubs. It is no longer standing!

One of my favourite pubs, still standing, June 2026, discovered during
my first trip to London in 2012. My sons liked it too! Photo GH

Photographs and a story or two will soon follow related to Operation HUSKY.

Please click here to view England's National Memorial Arboretum, May 2026 (1)

Unattributed Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment